Re: PL/PgSQL buglet / doc error - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: PL/PgSQL buglet / doc error
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com> writes:
> On 7 Nov 2002, Neil Conway wrote:
> >  If you have declared the function to return void, then the expression
> >  can be omitted, and will be ignored in any case.
>
> I'm not sure how you translated the above to return is optional.  I'd
> read it as the expression portion of the return statement is optional if
> the function returns void.  Thus you can say return; for the return
> because the expression is optional.

Woops :-)

There might be a case to be made for actually implementing this (not
requiring a blank RETURN at the end of a function body if the function
doesn't return anything), but the original "bug" is obviously a case
of my misreading the docs.

Sorry for the noise.

Cheers,

Neil