Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: New to PostgreSQL, performance considerations
Date
List pgsql-performance
After a long battle with technology, mstone+postgres@mathom.us (Michael Stone), an earthling, wrote:
> [1] I will say that I have never seen a realistic benchmark of
> general code where the compiler flags made a statistically
> significant difference in the runtime.

When we were initially trying out PostgreSQL on AIX, I did some
(limited, admittedly) comparisons between behaviour when compiled
using GCC 3.something, VisualAge C, and VisualAge C++.  I did some
modifications of -O values; I didn't find differences amounting to
more than a percent or two between any of the combinations.

If there's to be a difference, anywhere, it ought to have figured
pretty prominently between a pretty elderly GCC version and IBM's top
of the line PowerPC compiler.
--
output = reverse("gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxdistributions.html