Re: BUG #4966: wrong password..... - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: BUG #4966: wrong password.....
Date
Re: BUG #4966: wrong password.....  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

"walkerlacombe" <swarloka@hotmail.com> writes:
> Operating system:   vista home premium
> Details:
>
> when i boot up my pc i have owner and postgresql as users.for postgresql i
> need a password. now when i downloaded postgresql i had to make 2 passwords.
> now , when i try to get into the postgresql user it tells me that the
> password is the wrong one.i have both of them and they don't work. in other
> words i have no access it what so ever. so how do i retrieve thw password
> that does work?

Would we consider providing a documentation section explaining how to
change pg_hba.conf to trust, reload, change password, get back to saner
HBA if needed?

This question is a such a FAQ that it deserves a place in the docs, I
think. Is there a counter-argument (security based or anything) to add
this, maybe in the tutorial part, a new Authenticating section between
Architectural Fundamentals and Creating a Database?

--
dim