Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams
Date
List pgsql-docs
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) writes:
>> Excerpts from Peter Eisentraut's message of jue jul 01 21:52:00 -0400 2010:
>>> Is there something that makes installing dia more challenging than the
>>> other documentation build tools?
>
>> Err, I dunno -- it's just an apt-get away for me, but what will Tom say
>> when it doesn't work on his ancient HP-UX 10.20 system?
>
> I don't try to build the docs on that box anyway --- it does have
> openjade but such an old version that they don't build.  In practice
> building the docs already takes much more modern infrastructure than
> compiling the source code; and besides there are many fewer people
> who care about doing it.
>
> A more interesting question is whether Marc can install a working
> version of dia on whatever he uses to wrap the tarballs.

Good news...  It's not terribly difficult to use command line usage to
get dia to export .png files.

{wrox}  dia --export=transport.png Transports.dia
Transports.dia --> transport.png
{wrox}  file Transports.dia transport.png
Transports.dia: gzip compressed data, from Unix
transport.png:  PNG image data, 753 x 774, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced

So the makefile rule is pretty much:
   %.png : %.dia; dia --export=$@ $<

I'll observe that while dia claims to be able to export in JPEG form,
it doesn't necessarily work:

{wrox} dia --export=transport.jpg Transports.dia

** (dia:946): CRITICAL **: dia error: do not know how to export into transport.jpg

If we have a preference for JPEG, then that's presumably an
ImageMagick run away...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/languages.html