Re: archive_command options? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jerry Sievers
Subject Re: archive_command options?
Date
List pgsql-admin
LEROY TENNISON <leroy_tennison@prodigy.net> writes:

> Postgresql documentation lists the following as an archive command
> for log shipping:
>
> archive_command = 'test ! -f /mnt/server/archivedir/%f && cp %p /mnt/
> server/archivedir/%f'
>
> The problem is that it is very fragile.  If anything breaks the copy
> (either system failing, network issues) then log shipping stops
> because the file exists in some intermediate state.  The result is
> that logs build up on the source system filling disk space.  I've had
> to deal with a few of these this week, in two cases the file system
> was 98% full.  Is there a reason rsync isn't used?  It has the
> ability to restart interrupted transfers.  I don't want to use it
> only to find out i got myself into another predicament.  Any other
> less-fragile options?  Thanks for the help.

You are free to use any $better thing as archive command.

The classic example given in the docs is appealing for simplicity's
sake.

I don't understand your piece about "restart interrupted transfers".
Postgres will only archive 1 file at a time anyhow and will
retry/restart till whatever your archive_command is returns true.

16M WAL segments aren't these days large enough IMO that being able to
carry on a half-copied file is compelling.

HTH

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting