Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM
Date
Re: Experimental patch for inter-page delay in VACUUM  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Another idea --- if fsync() is slow because it can't find the dirty
> buffers, use write() to write the buffers, copy the buffer to local
> memory, mark it as clean, then open the file with O_SYNC and write
> it again.

Yuck.

Do we have any idea how many kernels are out there that implement
fsync() as poorly as HPUX apparently does? I'm just wondering if we're
contemplating spending a whole lot of effort to work around a bug that
is only present on an (old?) version of HPUX. Do typical BSD derived
kernels exhibit this behavior? What about Linux? Solaris?

-Neil