Re: C trigger using system(3) to execute a php script - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Douglas McNaught
Subject Re: C trigger using system(3) to execute a php script
Date
Re: C trigger using system(3) to execute a php script  (David Rio Deiros <driodeiros@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
David Rio Deiros <driodeiros@gmail.com> writes:

> Then, I wanted to run the full php script from the trigger. I tried
> the script manually, form the shell, and it worked perfectly. Notice
> that the script doesn't generate any stdin/stdout output. So I changed
> the system(3) parameter to call my php script instead of the test one.
> I tried it and it didn't work.  The php script doesn't perform the
> modifications it suppose to in the database.
>
> The php script is about 150 lines long and performs like 5 or 6 sql
> queries/inserts against the database.

Why would you do it that way?  The queries/inserts won't be rolled
back if the transaction containing the trigger aborts (because they'd
be done in a separate session).  Why not just do your queries from C
using the SPI interface?

-Doug