Re: Modifying TOAST thresholds - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Modifying TOAST thresholds
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> I also think that we ought to add TOAST_MAX_CHUNK_SIZE to the set of
> compiled-in parameters that are recorded in pg_control and checked for
> compatibility at startup (like BLCKSZ) --- this will prevent anyone from
> shooting themselves in the foot while experimenting.

Is there any reason to experiment with this? I would have thought we would
divorce TOAST_MAX_CHUNK_SIZE from TOAST_THRESHOLD and hard code it as the same
expression that's there now. Ie, the largest size that can fit in a page.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't go in pg_control of course but it would just be
a function of BLCKSIZE and the architecture alignment and not dependent on any
user configurable value.