Re: Potential problem with HOT and indexes? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Potential problem with HOT and indexes?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> So it occurs to me that freezing xmin won't actually do what we want for
>> indexcheckxmin. Namely it'll make the index *never* be used.
>
> How do you figure that?  FrozenXID is certainly in the past from any
> vantage point.

Uhm, I'm not sure what I was thinking.

Another thought now though. What if someone updates the pg_index entry --
since we never reset indcheckxmin then the new tuple will have a new xmin and
will suddenly become invisible again for no reason.

Couldn't this happen if you set a table WITHOUT CLUSTER for example? Or if
--as possibly happened in the user's case-- you reindex the table and don't
find any HOT update chains but the old pg_index entry had indcheckxmin set
already?

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's On-Demand Production
Tuning