Re: Moving to postgresql and some ignorant questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Moving to postgresql and some ignorant questions
Date
List pgsql-general
"Phoenix Kiula" <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> writes:

> There are some cases where I would like to bunch queries into a
> transaction purely for speed purposes, but they're not interdependent
> for integrity. E.g.,

How do you know you need to do this for speed if you haven't run it yet? I
would suggest you build your application around the application needs first,
then later look at how to optimize it.

Remember the two rules of optimization:

1) Don't
2) (for experts only) Don't yet

The only case where you should consider batching together transactions like
that is if you're processing a batch data load of some kind. In that case you
have a large volume of updates and they're all single-threaded. But usually in
that case you want to abort the whole load if you have a problem.

--
  Gregory Stark