Re: Error at startup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Error at startup
Date
List pgsql-general
Adahma <adahma@starport.org> writes:
> I'm running Postgres 7.2 on Debian Sid.  I've been hitting the
> database all day long without problem.  This evening I added an IP
> address to my pg_hba.conf, to allow an ODBC connection.  When I
> tried a restart to run the new config, the server failed to start
> giving an error of "Unknown ID: -" and nothing else.

That error message doesn't appear anywhere in the current PostgreSQL
code, AFAICT. In fact, it looks a fair bit like the error you get for
trying to 'su' into a non-existent account (although the
capitalization is a bit different). Can you try (a) increasing the
debug level (b) posting the exact sequence of commands that leads to
the problem?

If you're using an init script, something might be going awry before
it actually gets to starting the postmaster, so you might want to try
starting it by hand.

Cheers,

Neil