Re: Isnumeric function? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Isnumeric function?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Theo Galanakis <Theo.Galanakis@lonelyplanet.com.au> writes:

>     error: btree item size 2744 exceeds maximum 2713.
>
> I assume I had to change some server settings to extend the maximum, however

I would guess the block size. But I'm just guessing.

> in the end this column holds content, and even applying an index would be
> incredible slow to search across hundred of thousands of "content" records
> looking for a primary key.

Perhaps you could have an indexed column that contains a crc32 hash? Then you
could do searches by comparing crc32 which make for fast efficient integer
index lookups. You should still include a comparison against the original
content column since it is possible for there to be a rare crc32 collision.

This doesn't let you do range lookups efficiently. But it does let you look up
specific values quickly even when they aren't numeric.

--
greg