Re: Fixed length data types issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Fixed length data types issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Gregory Stark wrote:
> > I think we have to find a way to remove the varlena length header
> > entirely for fixed length data types since it's going to be the same
> > for every single record in the table.
>
> But that won't help in the example you posted upthread, because char(N)
> is not fixed-length.

Sure it is because any sane database--certainly any sane database using
char(N)--is in C locale anyways.

In any case if you disagree about that (and you're wrong) then substitute some
other data type. Defining such a data type may be part of the problem that has
to be solved here.
--
greg