Re: Concurrent psql patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Concurrent psql patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>>
>>>             if (pset.c->db->asyncStatus != PGASYNC_BUSY)
>>>             {
>>>                 break;
>>>             }
>>>

>> There already is a defined API for this, namely PQisBusy().

Oh, now I remember why I'm including libpq-int.h. It's not for PGASYNC_BUSY as
above. The case above can indeed be fixed using PQIsBusy() (and select/poll
looping).

The missing interface is for PGASYNC_IDLE. The problem is that I didn't really
want to have psql go through the trouble to check all the connections for
waiting output if it didn't have any queries pending.

This could be fixed by having psql track which connections are waiting for
query results. It's a bit annoying to have two state bits that hold the same
data at two different levels of abstraction though.

--
  Gregory Stark