Re: Adding WHERE clause to pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Adding WHERE clause to pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> How do we deal with this?
>
> pg_dump -w "last_update_timestamp < ..." -t 'table*'
>
> What I see is a recipe for inconsistent, un-restorable backups without a
> user realizing what they have done. The only way to deal with the above
> is:
>
> 1. Wildcards aren't allowed if you have -w
> 2. You dump everything, if the WHERE clause isn't relevant you just dump
> the whole table

There's always
 3. Apply the WHERE clause to all tables and if there's a table missing    columns referenced in the where clause then
failwith the appropriate    error.

Which seems like the right option to me. The tricky bit would be how to deal
with cases where you want a different where clause for different tables. But
even if it doesn't handle all cases that doesn't mean a partial solution is
unreasonable.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's On-Demand Production
Tuning