Re: Replace PG_AUTOCONF_FILENAME with parameter - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Gierth
Subject Re: Replace PG_AUTOCONF_FILENAME with parameter
Date
List pgsql-hackers

 Jonathan> As opposed to config_file, hba_file, etc. the name and
 Jonathan> location of the autoconfig file is fixed to
 Jonathan> $PGDATA/postgresql.auto.conf (guc.h)

The reason it's in a fixed location is that the server needs to be able
to rewrite the file, and we don't assume we can write to directories
outside of $PGDATA unless the _directory_ (not the file) was explicitly
specified (e.g. unix_socket_directories or stats_temp_directory).

hba_file and ident_file can be outside $PGDATA because the server never
needs to write to them.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)