Re: Scroll cursor oddity... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Scroll cursor oddity...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Mike Aubury <mike.aubury@aubit.com> writes:
>> ie - under postgresql it appears we've scrolled *past* the last row and need
>> an additional fetch to get back to our last row..
>
> Why do you find that surprising?  It seems to me to be symmetrical with
> the case at the beginning of the table --- the cursor is initially
> positioned before the first row.  Why shouldn't there be a corresponding
> state where it's positioned after the last row?

What's implied by that but perhaps not clear is that it's easier to think of
cursors as being *between* rows rather than *on* rows. I'm not sure the
standard entirely adopts that model however.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's PostGIS support!