Re: PostgreSQL HardWare - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Earl
Subject Re: PostgreSQL HardWare
Date
List pgsql-general
It all depends on what you want to do with that data.  To give you an
idea as to what I mean I currently have a database that resides on a
Pentium II 450 with 768 M of ram and IDE hard drives.  This database
has several tables with over ten million records in them and each of
these tables gets an average of nearly 18,000 inserts a day (there are
no updates or deletes on these large tables).

Of course, this system has a fairly limited number of users (less than
30), and the queries generally only ask for a small subset of the data
(sequential scans of the large tables take more than a minute to
complete, but index scans return very fast).

My guess is that you are going to be just fine :), and if you do end
up with a query that takes a long time to return chances are good that
someone on the lists will have a solution.

Jason