Bug? CREATE TABLE AS (... UNION ...) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Bug? CREATE TABLE AS (... UNION ...)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

I think I found a bug, or at least a discrepancy. Afaict the
transformSetOperationsStmt function should have identical code to
transformSelectStmt outside of the operations affected by set operations. If
that's the case then the SELECT INTO/CREATE TABLE AS code was not updated when
last it was touched for regular queries.

I think this means WITH[OUT] OIDS and WITH <definition> won't currently work
correctly if the select query involves a UNION or other set operation. Also
temporary tables created with an ON COMMIT option will ignore it and any
tablespace directive will be ignored.

Should I just copy the same code over or is anyone interested in refactoring
this? Or do I have it wrong somehow?

TransformSelectStmt:
/* handle any SELECT INTO/CREATE TABLE AS spec */if (stmt->into){    qry->into = stmt->into;    if (stmt->intoColNames)
      applyColumnNames(qry->targetList, stmt->intoColNames);    qry->intoOptions = copyObject(stmt->intoOptions);
qry->intoOnCommit= stmt->intoOnCommit;    qry->intoTableSpaceName = stmt->intoTableSpaceName;}

transformSetOperationStmt:
/* * Handle SELECT INTO/CREATE TABLE AS. * * Any column names from CREATE TABLE AS need to be attached to both the *
toplevel and the leftmost subquery.  We do not do this earlier because * we do *not* want sortClause processing to be
affected.*/if (intoColNames){    applyColumnNames(qry->targetList, intoColNames);
applyColumnNames(leftmostQuery->targetList,intoColNames);}