Re: does postgresql works on distributed systems? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Volkan YAZICI
Subject Re: does postgresql works on distributed systems?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, "Roberts, Jon" <Jon.Roberts@asurion.com> writes:
> PostgreSQL does not have either a shared disk or shared nothing
> architecture.

But there are some turn arounds for these obstacles:

- Using pgpool[1], sequoia[2], or similar tools[3] you can simulate a
  "shared nothing" architecture.

- Using an SSI (Single System Image) framework (e.g. OpenSSI[4]), you
  can build your own "shared disk" architecture for any application.

I'm planning to make a survey regarding PostgreSQL performance on
OpenSSI. There are some obstacles mostly caused by shared-memory
architecture of PostgreSQL, but that claim is -- AFAIK -- totally
theoratical. There aren't any benchmarks done yet that explains
shared-memory bottlenecks of PostgreSQL on an OpenSSI framework. If
anybody have experience with PostgreSQL on OpenSSI, I'll be happy to
hear them. (Yeah, there were some related posts in the past; but they
were mostly noise.)

Regards.

[1] http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/
[2] http://sequoia.continuent.org/