Wishlist: subqueries that return multiple columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Wishlist: subqueries that return multiple columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I've several times wanted a way to add multiple select output columns using a
single expression. A typical scenario would be if the columns come from a
subselect from another table where repeating the subselect means slow
performance as well as awkward and repetitive code.

Sometimes the subselect can be rewritten as a join, but that is not always the
case. Consider something like:

select customer.*,      (select avg(amount),sum(amount) from purchases         where purchases.customer_id =
customer.customer_id     ) as (avg_purchase, total_purchase),      (select avg(amount),sum(amount) from quotes
wherequotes.customer_id = customer.customer_id      ) as (avg_quote, total_quote) from customer

(Ok, actually that could be done as a join using some trickery with GROUP BY,
but I have other scenarios where it can't because the subselects overlap.)

With the new support for complex data types like arrays and structures perhaps
I could do this by constructing a RECORD in each subselect and then wrapping
another layer around the query where I explicitly list each element of the
RECORD that I want to include in the result set.

But it would be nice to have some more convenient mechanisms for handling this
case.

--
greg