Re: Problem connecting to postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: Problem connecting to postmaster
Date
List pgsql-general
Glenn Sullivan <glenn.sullivan@varianinc.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed native postgresql8.0.1 on a PC running Windows XP
> professional.
> I am having trouble connecting to it from my application.  The application
> is a combination of java and C++ which was developed on Sun Solaris (Unix).
> Thus on the PC, I have installed Microsoft Interix (Service For Unix) on
> the PC to run the application.  I don't know if this is the problem or not,
> but I am thus trying to connect to the DB running native from an application
> running from Interix.  Does anyone know if this is inherently a problem?

Have you tried writing a small standalone Java application to test
connecting to the database?  That would take Interix out of the
equation.

> My java code connects to the DB using
>  DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql://gandalf:5432/mydb",
>  user, passwd);
>
> I get a PSQLException with a null message when this is executed.
>
> I start up the postmaster with -i to allow TCP/IP connections.
> I set Windows Firewall to "off"

Does "netstat" show the Postgres server listening on 5432?  Have you
tried using "localhost" instead of "gandalf" in the JDBC URL?

-Doug