Re: what is difference between LOCAL and GLOBAL TEMP TABLES in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: what is difference between LOCAL and GLOBAL TEMP TABLES in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>>> 2007/7/4, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>:
>> The solution is to fix the bloat, not add a work-around.
>
>> The bloat is a direct consequence of performing DDL in the midst of an OLTP
>> transaction.
>
> Hardly.  It's a consequence of our current implementation of temp
> tables; that does not necessarily imply that we cannot fix it without
> an API change.

Sure, we could change our regular temporary tables to not create new records
in pg_class at all, but I don't think it would make a big difference to DSS
users. And I think for OLTP you would still want all the other advantages the
standard api gives you.