Re: Save MySQL? HA - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Save MySQL? HA
Date
List pgsql-general
DCorbit@connx.com ("Dann Corbit") writes:
> (Commercial use of MySQL without paying a license fee requires that
> projects using the database are also GPL, IIRC).

I know I've seen Monty say this sort of thing a lot of times, and his
most recent rant
(<http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-keep-internet-free.html>)
underlines it with his mistaken belief.

He indicates, without any documentation of it, that there's some special
"GPL exception" in Linux licensing, otherwise, presumably, commercial
use of Linux would require, um, paying Linus or RMS or ??? some
licensing fee for the "proprietary version."

    "While Linux is indeed distributed under the GPL, as is MySQL, Linux
    has an exception that allows anyone to run any kind of applications
    (including closed source applications) on top of Linux."

You're not misreading what Monty said, but I think what he wrote was
self-serving (to his ex-company) nonsense.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/slony.html