Re: database caches - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: database caches
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Ruslan A Dautkhanov <rusland@scn.ru> writes:
>     I have problem in PG performance - all database caches is allocated
>     to one table, which is much greater than all other tables together, but
>     requests to this huge table much rarely, than requests with
>     other tables.

What makes you think that all the cache is allocated for this one
specific table?

Also, caching is done on a page-by-page basis, not per-relation.

>     How can I adjust which tables should be cached more (cache rate), and
>     which less, if this possible?? Or which tables not to cache
>     completely.

The buffer manager decides what to cache by itself; there are a few
knobs you can tweak (shared_buffers, for example), but for the most
part the buffer manager is expected to do its job.

In your specific example, it doesn't sound like there's a need to
manually tweak the buffer manager: the large but infrequently accessed
table will likely not have very many buffers kept in memory.

Cheers,

Neil