Re: 8.3.6 build error on Debian Lenny - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: 8.3.6 build error on Debian Lenny
Date
List pgsql-general
Josh Trutwin <josh@trutwins.homeip.net> writes:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 00:49:32 -0400
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
>> Josh Trutwin <josh@trutwins.homeip.net> writes:
>
> <snip>
>
>> > geo_ops.c /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/cc1: symbol lookup
>> > error: /usr/lib/libmpfr.so.1: undefined symbol:
>> > __gmp_get_memory_functions
>>
>> [ blink... ]  There's no reason for a compile to be looking into
>> shared libraries.  What I think must have happened here is that
>> this reflects a bogus function call internally in gcc itself.
>> Which probably means that you have a gcc version that's out-of-sync
>> with your libmpfr.so.1 version (whatever the heck that is).  I'd
>> suggest asking around among some Debian experts, or just
>> reinstalling instead of upgrading.

Searching on google it seems this is a typical error message when you have a
hand-compiled gmp installed locally in /usr/local/lib as well as a system gmp
installed in /usr/lib. So you may be getting one version of libmpfr and a
mismatched version of libgmpMPFR. I would imagine this could cause problems if
one is compiled statically and the other dynamically. (Or if they're both
static but you list them in the wrong order on the command-line.)

> Reinstalling would be rough - this box is remote, I felt lucky to get
> through the upgrade over ssh.

It's usually unnecessary to reinstall Debian. I've been running unstable since
1996 and only had to do it once and only because I had a filesystem
corruption.

> I'll try Debian lists / irc - hopefully don't get snarks.  :)

Yes well...

--
  Gregory Stark