Re: placeholder syntax - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: placeholder syntax
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@wiw.org> writes:
> > Should Postgres accept ? as a placeholder?
>
> In short, I think this notation sucks and I don't want to emulate it.

Certainly it sucks. Unfortunately it's the supported ODBC API which is
emulated by everyone else, including JDBC and DBI. So the world's pretty much
stuck with it.

However this isn't Postgres's problem. If you want to write code that works
with multiple databases then you're going to want to be using something like
ODBC or JDBC or DBI anyways. In which case it's the driver's responsibility to
provide the standard API which includes translating ? into appropriate syntax
for the database.

In other words, your problem should already be solved by your driver.

--
greg