Re: Fixed length data types issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Fixed length data types issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> writes:
>
>> So you end up storing the typmod in the Datum itself, which brings you
>> right back to varlena.
>
> Not really since the Datum doesn't actually end up on disk in the case of
> pass-by-reference.

Just brain storming here. But what happens if we make Datum 2*sizeof(pointer)
and stored the typmod and/or attlen in it?

Obviously it means the memory use goes up dramatically. But the disk i/o could
potentially be reduced dramatically as well.

Does it let us do anything else we've been dreaming of but not thought doable?
Does it cause any fundamental problems?