Re: Testing mail list - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Testing mail list
Date
Re: Testing mail list  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:

> Receipt of messages like this is guaranteed an immediate entry in my junk
> filter. Use of this braindead software is bad enough, but being so clueless as
> not to whitelist a technical mailing list you subscribe to is truly horrible.

It's worse than that in this case. This is an *impressively* broken
configuration. What appears to be happening is that the mail server at this
university is looking at the To and From headers and treating it as a personal
email between those two addresses. It sends this captcha to the From header
claiming that the person in the To header is insisting on the captcha being
filled out. The first such bounce I looked at actually claimed it was on Tom's
behalf!

If I were the list maintainer here I would ban infotecnica.com.br addresses
from subscribing to any of our lists. Ideally with a message saying "as a
result of misconfigured mail software addreses from infotecnica.com.br are
banned from pgsql mailing lists. Please contact your postmaster to request
they fix the problems"

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's Slony Replication
support!