Re: plpgsql Difference in behaviour between versions? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jerry Sievers
Subject Re: plpgsql Difference in behaviour between versions?
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris McDonald <chrisjonmcdonald@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I am upgrading a system from postgresql 8.4.8 (fedora 13 x64) to
> postgresql 9.0.5 (fedora 15 x64). As I build a database I've noticed
> that the following works on 8.4.8 but does not work on 9.0.5. Can
> someone tell me why this is not legal syntax in 9.0.5 but is legal
> in 8.4.8 please:
>
> ===snip===
> create type mytype
> as
> (
>    somekey integer,
>    open numeric(14, 2)
> );
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION myfunc(IN INTEGER, IN NUMERIC(14, 2))
>     RETURNS VOID
> AS $$
> DECLARE
>     somekey ALIAS FOR $1;
>     rec mytype;
> BEGIN
>     rec.somekey = somekey;
>
>         -- 9.0.5 will fail at the dot character in the
>         -- following line here with syntax error sqlstate 42601
>         -- but 8.4.8 is happy.
>     rec.open = 32;

I wonder if this remark in the release notes is relevant.  Tom will
probably shed some light here.  I don't get the connection but we'll
see.

  * Improve handling of cases where PL/pgSQL variable names conflict with identifiers used in queries within a
    function (Tom Lane)

    The default behavior is now to throw an error when there is a conflict, so as to avoid surprising behaviors. This
    can be modified, via the configuration parameter plpgsql.variable_conflict or the per-function option #
    variable_conflict, to allow either the variable or the query-supplied column to be used. In any case PL/pgSQL will
    no longer attempt to substitute variables in places where they would not be syntactically valid.