Re: Makefile support for Mac OS X Fat Binaries? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Makefile support for Mac OS X Fat Binaries?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
>> would the community accept a patch that would allow the making of 4-way fat
>> binaries on Mac OS X 10.5+? (Obviously for 8.4+).
>
> Depends on how big and ugly it is, I think.  If you can do it just by
> hacking CFLAGS and friends, sure; if it's as invasive as the Windows
> build machinery, definitely not; in between, we'd have to see it.

We've been through this once already. You can't do it (cleanly) with just
Makefile hackery. The architectures have different endianness and possibly
other ABI differences. To handle that cleanly you have to run configure once
for each architecture and build each architecture with the appropriate
config.h.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's On-Demand Production
Tuning