Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Martin Pihlak <martin.pihlak@gmail.com> writes:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I know we don't like the current behavior, but I think we need to make
>>> them consistent first for easy testing and so when we change it, it will
>>> remain consistent.
>>>
>>> I will work on a consensus patch soon for the new behavior.
>>

> The "\dXU *.*" commands also display objects from information_schema. IMHO
> these should also be classified as system objects. It is most annoying to
> run '\dfU *.*' and see a list of information_schema internal functions show up.
> Whereas the intent was to see the user defined functions in all schemas.

You know I think I've come around to agreeing with one of Tom's proposals.

I think we should do the following:

\dX       : list user objects
\dXS      : list system objects
\dX <pat> : list all matching objects based on search_path
\dX *.*   : list all objects in all schemas

I've basically come to the conclusion that having the output agree with
behaviour at run-time is a big advantage and anything else would actually be
too dangerous.

If you do something like "\dt p*" or "\df a*" and are annoyed by the output
you just have to make your pattern something more specific. For tables we
already prefix them all with pg_ so one more letter ought to be enough.

For functions it would be nice if we could trim the output quite a bit. I
wonder if we could rename all our internal functions which implement operators
and indexam methods without introducing any backwards compatibility issues. We
don't document things like "int4gt" after all.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's PostGIS support!