Re: HA for PostgreSQL (Auth-Server) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: HA for PostgreSQL (Auth-Server)
Date
List pgsql-general
craig@postnewspapers.com.au (Craig Ringer) writes:
> OpenLDAP is a pretty solid LDAP server these days, and I highly
> recommend it for use as an authentication database. By default it uses
> Berkeley DB as a backend, which is quite acceptable with newer versions
> of Berkeley DB that provide decent transactional behaviour and solid
> crash-safety.

No disagreement there...

I wonder, with the recent interesting results from performance
comparisons between PostgreSQL and some of the key/value stores
(e.g. - where PostgreSQL has ways to "win"), what the performance
behaviour is, these days, for OpenLDAP backed by PostgreSQL.

It's not actually terribly difficult to set that up (as long as you're
not trying to use the "map some LDAP queries into relational ones"
functionality of slapd-sql, which makes me want to poke out my eyes).

At any rate, would be kinda cool to see numbers...
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/unix.html