Re: autovac issue with large number of tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: autovac issue with large number of tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2020/11/27 18:38, Kasahara Tatsuhito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 1:43 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

>> Sounds great!

>> Do you have this benchmark result?

>>> Yeah, I would like to see how much the performance changes in other cases.
>>> In addition, if the shared-based-stats patch is applied, we won't need to reload
>>> a huge stats file, so we will just have to check the stats on
>>> shared-mem every time.
>>> Perhaps the logic of table_recheck_autovac could be simpler.

>> The patch adds some duplicated codes into table_recheck_autovac().
>> It's better to make the common function performing them and make
>> table_recheck_autovac() call that common function, to simplify the code.
> Thanks for your comment.
> Hmm.. I've cut out the duplicate part.
> Attach the patch.
> Could you confirm that it fits your expecting?

Yes, thanks for updataing the patch! Here are another review comments.

+    shared = pgstat_fetch_stat_dbentry(InvalidOid);
+    dbentry = pgstat_fetch_stat_dbentry(MyDatabaseId);

When using the existing stats, ISTM that these are not necessary and
we can reuse "shared" and "dbentry" obtained before. Right?

+        /* We might be better to refresh stats */
+        use_existing_stats = false;

I think that we should add more comments about why it's better to
refresh the stats in this case.

+        /* The relid has already vacuumed, so we might be better to use existing stats */
+        use_existing_stats = true;

I think that we should add more comments about why it's better to
reuse the stats in this case.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao