Re: COPY alloc problem in 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: COPY alloc problem in 7.4
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Margus Väli <mvali@hot.ee> writes:
> COPY command tries to create a buffer too large in size when the
> file copied is larger than about 500 bytes.

Can anyone else reproduce this? I did the following with a fairly
recent CVS snapshot:

    1. Copied the supplied text data to a file, fixed up the extra
       newlines so that COPY doesn't bail out

    2. Created a new database with encoding = unicode

    3. Create a table "marksona" in that DB with the supplied schema

    4. I then got the following:

unicode_test=# copy marksona from '/home/nconway/copy_input.asc' with delimiter '|' null as '';
ERROR:  Unicode characters greater than or equal to 0x10000 are not supported
CONTEXT:  COPY marksona, line 12, column sona: "Balti Sõjaväeringkonna Ülemjuh"

    5. If I load the data into a SQL_ASCII encoded DB, the COPY
       command succeeds.

However, I know absolutely nothing about Unicode, so perhaps I've
mucked something up.

-Neil