Re: Best approach for a "gap-less" sequence - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Godoy
Subject Re: Best approach for a "gap-less" sequence
Date
List pgsql-general
AgentM <agentm@themactionfaction.com> writes:

> Since the gapless numbers are purely for the benefit of the tax people, you
> could build your db with regular sequences as primary  keys and then regularly
> (or just before tax-time) insert into a table  which maps the gapless sequence
> to the real primary key.

That's also an interesting approach.  An auxiliary table like

       transaction integer FK to the transactions table
       transaction_nb integer  gapless sequence

should do it.  A trigger inserting on this auxiliary table would also take
care of everything...  If I have an after trigger I believe I wouldn't need
any locking...  I have to think about this...

As simple as this might be, I haven't thought about it :-)  Thanks for your
suggestion.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>