Re: VACUUM and transactions in different databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: VACUUM and transactions in different databases
Date
List pgsql-general
Oops! c@cornelia-boenigk.de (Cornelia Boenigk) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
> Hi all
>
> If I have a running transaction in database1 and try to vacuum
> database2 but the dead tuples in database2 cannot be removed.
>
> INFO:  vacuuming "public.dummy1"
> INFO:  "dummy1": found 0 removable, 140000 nonremovable row versions
> in 1341 pages
> DETAIL:  135000 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
>
> How can I achieve that database2 is vacuumed while a transaction in
> database1 is not yet commited?

You can't, unless you're on 8.1, and the not-yet-committed transaction
is VACUUM.

You have discovered a known factor, that a transaction left open on
one database may have adverse effects on another database.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/rdbms.html