Re: FETCH from scroll cursor does not return count in libpq PQcmdStatus - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: FETCH from scroll cursor does not return count in libpq PQcmdStatus
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Knut P. Lehre" <knutpl@broadpark.no> writes:
> After a PQExec with a fetch from a scroll cursor, I only get "FETCH" from PQcmdStatus, and not "FETCH count" as
describedin the 8.2.1 docs. However, PQntuples returns the number of fetched rows.  If I replace the FETCH by a MOVE,
PQcmdStatusreturns "MOVE count".

Hmm ... some experimentation shows that 7.2 and 7.3 return a count in
the FETCH command tag, but no earlier or later version does.  It's clear
though that libpq expects FETCH to have a count, see PQcmdTuples().
So I'd have to say this is something we broke in 7.4 and nobody noticed
until now.  The culprit seems to be pquery.c, which is assuming that
PORTAL_UTIL_SELECT queries always return the default command tag.