Re: PostgreSQL 13 articles (German) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 13 articles (German)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 10/6/20 11:31 AM, Valeria Kaplan wrote:
> I think that's a really good idea (compiling and linking to the press
> page [2]). Will definitely encourage people to spread the news.
>
> Few things that we could discuss are:
>
>   * Whether we will include marketing articles by companies that use
>     these news for self promotion? (my opinion is that we should try and
>     only list pieces that are neutral, at least as much as possible)
>   * What about opinion pieces (user stories etc.)? (I have mixed
>     feelings about this one)
>   * Do we also list syndications? (guess not)

We likely need some guidelines, yes. I think the idea is to restrict it
to media outlets. I would certainly -1 being articles specifically from
companies or on corporate blogs (even if they are good PostgreSQL 13
articles...a lot of them have been syndicated via Planet anyway).

Likewise, I think we'd want to avoid syndications and try to aim for
original content. Granted, some of the original content may be
copying+pasting from the press release, but the idea is that it comes
from a media outlet.

I think there is likely best effort quality control in it too. I
remember an article in English last year that referred to PostgreSQL as
"traditionally a NoSQL database," which I would say shouldn't make the cut.

> If helpful, I searched and found a few pieces in Russian (there wasn't
> much):
> https://www.opennet.ru/opennews/art.shtml?num=53774
> there were a few syndications:
> https://www.linux.org.ru/news/opensource/15914558
> https://unixforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=150537
> https://ru.wikinews.org/wiki/%D0%A0%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%B7_%D0%A1%D0%A3%D0%91%D0%94_PostgreSQL_13
> There was also this overview in Russian at the recent #RuPostgres
> session https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLSpW6Ero30&feature=emb_title (a
> Russian speaking YouTube channel dedicated to Postgres news, features,
> events etc.)
> There was this blog post
> https://yandex.ru/turbo/dataenginer.ru/s/?pcgi=p%3D8121 (First
> experience with Postgres 13)

Thanks! So, I would like restrict it to just media outlets, and not
syndications, though it's good to know about the syndications for future
decision making around the press release.

> Another small question,
> Who does the translation of the non-English press kit? Do we have native
> speakers checking it before the official release? (I'd be happy to help
> with Russian if needed, and I also noticed a few glitches with Hebrew
> version)

Yes, there is a team[1], and typically within the teams there are teams,
so it gets a lot of eyes on it. Before committing, I'll also throw it
into Google translate just to spot check (I'm not going to modify the
content itself, but in case I have qusetions for the translators).

If you are interested to find out more about the team, please send me a
note.

Thanks!

Jonathan

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/about/press/