Re: [GENERAL] Bug with sequence - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Bug with sequence
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> writes:
> This sounds like a serious bug in our behaviour, and not something
> we'd like to release.

It's not ideal, I agree, but I *definately* don't think this is
grounds for changing the release schedule.

> No real issue with the nicety for newbies, but am very concerned
> about the lack of a dependancy check here.

Well, how would you suggest we fix this? ISTM this is partially a
result of the fact that we don't produce dependancy information for
function bodies. While it might be possible to do so (in 7.4) for
certain types of functions (e.g. for functions defined in SQL,
PL/PgSQL, etc.), I can't see a general solution (e.g. for functions
defined in C).

And adding random hacks to get specific functions (e.g. nextval()) to
work does not strike me as a very good idea.

Cheers,

Neil