Re: default select ordering - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: default select ordering
Date
List pgsql-general
Matt Roberts <matt@runtime-collective.com> writes:

> Please accept my apologies if this is answered elsewhere in the archives
> or docs but I have searched without luck.
>
> I've always assumed that default ordering of selects are based on a first
> in first out principle and that this remains true at the row level despite
> edits to columns.

There is no guaranteed ordering of rows without an ORDER BY clause.
VACUUM will change the row ordering as it moves tuples around to free
up space.  If you want a guaranteed order, use a key field and ORDER BY.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863