Re: Good examples of calling slony stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Good examples of calling slony stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-sql
Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when markadan@ati.com ("Mark Adan") wrote:
> I looked there already and didn't find what I needed.  I saw this web
> page from cbbrowne and he briefly talked about using "bare metal" slony
> functions, but doesn't have any examples.

If you look at the source code for the slonik utility, it shows how
the functions actually get used.

In most cases, slonik.c submits fairly simple requests using the
functions in slony1-funcs.sql.

For instance, the slonik MOVE SET (id=1, old origin=11, new origin=22);
command runs a bunch of C "deteriorata" that is a wrapper for:
  select _slony_schema.moveset(1, 22);

Plenty of the commands are about as simple as that.

And this means that, for these "simple" operations, if you want to
submit them via SQL queries, there's a very thin veiling you need to
do to submit the functions as SQL selects.

There are more complex cases, such as FAIL OVER, SET ADD TABLE,
EXECUTE SCRIPT, UPDATE FUNCTIONS, and WAIT FOR EVENT, where there is
considerably complex logic in addition to what is in the stored procs.

Looking at slonik.c is the best thing I can suggest you do...
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/x.html