Re: the un-vacuumable table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: the un-vacuumable table
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Have you looked into the machine's kernel log to see if there is any
> evidence of low-level distress (hardware or filesystem level)?  I'm
> wondering if ENOSPC is being reported because it is the closest
> available errno code, but the real problem is something different than
> the error message text suggests.  Other than the errno the symptoms
> all look quite a bit like a bad-sector problem ...

Uhm, just for the record FileWrite returns error messages which get printed
this way for two reasons other than write(2) returning ENOSPC:

1) if FileAccess has to reopen the file then open(2) could return an error. I
don't see how open returns ENOSPC without O_CREAT (and that's cleared for
reopening)

2) If write(2) returns < 0 but doesn't set errno. That also seems like a
strange case that shouldn't happen, but perhaps there's some reason it can.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Get trained by Bruce Momjian - ask me about
EnterpriseDB'sPostgreSQL training!