Re: Listen / Notify rewrite - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Gierth
Subject Re: Listen / Notify rewrite
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Hi,>> >> Attached is a patch for a new listen/notify implementation.>> >> In a few words, the patch reimplements
listen/notifyas an>> slru-based queue which works similar to the sinval>> structure. Essentially it is a ring buffer on
diskwith pages>> mapped into shared memory for read/write access.

Martijn> While I can't really comment on the implementation, from yourMartijn> description it looks like a big
improvement.

Does it cope with the case where a trigger is doing NOTIFY, and you do
a whole-table update, therefore dumping potentially millions of
notifications in at once?

(for example a rare maintenance operation on a table which has a
listen/notify arrangement triggered by single inserts or updates)

The existing implementation copes with that just fine.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)