Re: restoring to different architecture with WAL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jerry Sievers
Subject Re: restoring to different architecture with WAL
Date
List pgsql-general
Balázs Keresztury <balazs.keresztury@gmail.com> writes:

> hi,
> I have a postgres 8.4 on a Ubuntu box at my workplace, and I plan to implement continuous?backup with the WAL
> technique. This backup is mainly used to provide the usual backup for the company, but I would also like to use it as
> an almost always up-to-date copy for my personal computer, mainly for development purposes. Thus, no two-way
> synchronization required.?
> I could (actually I am) use pg_dump to get the full copy each time, but since the database is very big and the vpn is
> slowish, it would be significantly less pain to download only the changes in the WAL files.
> I already created the base backup with pg_start_backup and transferred to my computer, which is currently running
> Windows. The problem is that I can't even start up the base cluster, because postgres throws the following exception.
> Is there any way to circumvent this problem or should I stick to the pg_dump-pg_restore method?

1. Start running Ubuntu.

2. Consider running Ubuntu in a VM on your windows box if you
   absolutely must run Windows at all.

Else, you are doomed to do a text import every time and of course,
this isn't going to scale.

HTH

--
Jerry Sievers