Re: pgsql: Adjust configure to insist on Perl version >= 5.8.3. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pgsql: Adjust configure to insist on Perl version >= 5.8.3.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/9/21 10:25 PM, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 09, 2021 at 04:34:46PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hah ... your backpan link led me to realize the actual problem with
>> Test::More.  It got folded into Test::Simple at some point, and
>> evidently cpanm isn't smart enough to handle a request for a back
>> version in such cases.  But this works:
>>
>> $ cpanm install Test::Simple@0.87_01
>> $ perl -MTest::More -e 'print $Test::More::VERSION, "\n";'
>> 0.8701
>>
>> So we oughta recommend that instead.  Now I'm wondering what
>> version of IPC::Run to recommend.
> You mentioned prairiedog uses IPC::Run 0.79.  That's from 2005.  (Perl 5.8.3
> is from 2004, and Test::More 0.87 is from 2009.)  I'd just use 0.79 in the
> README recipe.  IPC::Run is easy to upgrade, so if we find cause to rely on a
> newer version, I'd be fine updating that requirement.

Why don't we specify the minimum versions required of these somewhere in
the perl code? Perl is pretty good at this.

e.g.

    use IPC::Run 0.79;

    use Test::More 0.87;

It will choke if the supplied version is older.

We could even put lines like this in a small script that configure could
run.

cheers

andrew

--