Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle
Date
List pgsql-hackers
--On Dienstag, Januar 27, 2009 14:04:05 +0200 Peter Eisentraut
<peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

>> a view should be updatable by default if the query expression is
>> updatable... what we need is something to make a view READ ONLY even
>> if it should be updatable by spec...
>
> A view is read-only if you don't grant any write permissions on it.

What i'm seeing here is a very divergent understanding what a "read-only"
view is:

old-school PostgreSQL-Users would expect a "read-only" view to have no
"write action" installed. If we want to follow the standard closely, they
need to be installed automatically, changing this behavior, hence the wish
to have a syntax to restore the old behavior (e.g. for pg_dump). I'm unsure
what the correct approach looks like, but it seems we need a compromise.

--  Thanks
                   Bernd