Re: BLOB problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Doug McNaught
Subject Re: BLOB problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Rens Admiraal <postgresnews@etraned.nl> writes:

>    I've encountered a problem with a PostgreSQL database. I made a image
>    management system which stores images in a database from a PHP script.
>    I upload te file using pg_lo_import() (PHP function). Everything works
>    fine, fast, and I was really glad with it, till I found out that my
>    database is rapadly growing. With only 20 images the database has a
>    size of 65 MB !!!

Are you running VACUUM regularly?  You might want to do a VACUUM FULL
and see if the size goes down again.

The other possibility is that you're not dropping large objects when
they're superseded by new ones.  If you never call lo_unlink() in your
code that's probably what's happening.

-Doug