Re: Long-running performance (MVCC, Vacuum, etc.) - Any fix? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Long-running performance (MVCC, Vacuum, etc.) - Any fix?
Date
List pgsql-general
Eric Brown <eric.brown@propel.com> writes:

> My application is multi-threaded and I could care less about the concurrency
> afforded by MVCC. I'd rather just update the things in place and get less
> postgresql concurrency but more consistent long-running performance and disk
> space utilization.

Postgres uses MVCC for guaranteeing that it can roll back transactions too...

> Is my interpretation correct?
> Is there a way to turn off MVCC?
> Do fixed sized rows help any?

Postgres doesn't do anything special for fixed size rows.

I would suggest you look at pg_autovacuum, but in general while a
maintenance-free system is everyone's goal it's pretty far off.

--
greg