Re: What determines the cost of an index scan? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: What determines the cost of an index scan?
Date
List pgsql-general
Christian Schröder <cs@deriva.de> writes:

> Where does this difference come from? Pure cpu performance? Do the additional
> fields in the productive database have an impact on the performance? Or do I
> miss something?

Sure, more data takes more time to process.

Other factors which could affect it is how much dead space is in the table due
to previous updates and deletes, as well as how fragmented the indexes have
become over time.

--
  Gregory Stark